Everything You Need to Know About Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl Flooring. You’ve probably at least heard of it, but do you know what it is? Vinyl flooring is a synthetic flooring material that is versatile, easy to install, durable, and cost-effective. It has become an increasingly popular choice, and we’ve been asked to install it in more and more homes in recent years.
At Scharm Floor Covering, we want you to have all the facts and know all of your options before you make a decisions about your floors. The floors are a very important part of any home, and it’s not a decision that should be made impulsively. Not sure if vinyl floors are right for your home? Read below for a full explanation of vinyl flooring and its features.
Types of Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl comes in two different types: sheet vinyl and vinyl tiles. Sheet vinyl is installed in sheets that are either six or twelve feet wide. Sheet vinyl tends to be more water resistant and easier to install. However, vinyl tiles seem to be a more popular choice, as they mimic the look of ceramic tiles and are a more affordable alternative. Vinyl tiles come in 9” x 9” or 12” x 12.”
The Benefits of Vinyl Flooring
- Easy to clean. Vinyl is very easy to sweep and mop up, making it easy to keep clean. There is also no grout or groves in sheet vinyl, meaning there is no place for dirt and dust to get stuck.
- Versatile. If you want a wide variety of options, vinyl is the way to go. Available in hundreds of patterns and colors, the possibilities are endless. It can also be designed to mimic other types of flooring, such as hardwood or tile, without the cost or maintenance associated with those more expensive options. You can also create a variety of patterns and textures with vinyl to create a unique look that matches your space perfectly.
- Resilient. Vinyl flooring is stain resistant and scratch resistant. If you have pets, toddlers, or frequently have visitors in your home, it is the perfect option. It is also malleable, meaning it is the right fit for homes with foundation issues, as it can shift and bend with foundation movement.
- Durable. Vinyl is a very popular choice for areas of the home that see a lot of foot traffic, such as hallways, entryways, and mudrooms. Vinyl flooring is also non-porous, meaning it is a great choice for spaces such as your laundry room or bathroom, as it won’t absorb moisture. Water will not cause it to warp and certain types of vinyl can even be installed with waterproof backings for extra protection.
- Softer. Vinyl has become a popular alternative to hardwood floors in part because it isn’t as hard on your feet. Vinyl is a softer surface and isn’t as hard on your joints. So, if you experience joint pain, you may want to consider vinyl flooring. It’s a popular choice for the kitchen, as it’s easier to stand on for hours at a time as you slave over the stove.
- Easy to install. Vinyl is relatively easy to install, meaning it won’t be a two week long process that has your home ripped apart and brings life to a standstill. Many types of vinyl are installed with a click-and-lock system that allows for quick and efficient installation. It can also be installed right over the old floors or the subflooring without fully ripping out the original floors.
Interested in installing vinyl floors in your home or office space? Contact Scharm Floor Covering today, or give us a call at (847) 298-8233!