Luxury Vinyl Tile for your Home
Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) has become a popular choice for areas of the home that see a lot of foot traffic, such as hallways, entryways, bathrooms, and mudrooms. LVT’s Modern, fashion-forward color selection and sophisticated textures allow homeowners to create bold, innovative floors and unforgettable rooms with wider planks and unparalleled low-frequency pattern repetition. At Scharm Floor Covering, we want you to have all the facts and know all of your options before you make a decision about your floors. Flooring is a very important part of any home, and it’s not a decision that should be made without careful consideration.
Luxury Vinyl Tiles – Also known as Luxury Vinyl Plank(LVP) or Luxury Vinyl Flooring(LVF) is available in a variety of styles, designs, and patterns. Luxury Vinyl Planks are the same as vinyl tile, they just come in a variety of wood grain looks and style. LVT can be embossed to provide texture and comes in multiple sizes and can be combined for a modular authentic look. Luxury Vinyl Planks are also harder and more impact resistant. It is important to note that all types of vinyl flooring, even LVT and LVP, require proper subfloor preparation. Without preparation of the subfloor, the flooring will not last and will cause will problems in the future.
Benefits of LVT
- Waterproof, odor-free and easy to clean.
- an ideal solution for active homes with kids and pets.
Easy care and maintenance – makes for the perfect flooring.
- LVT provides the beauty and realism of natural wood and stone in a more practical format.
- A type of resilient flooring that loosely describes a vinyl-based flooring product that closely mimics the look of a natural material through realistic images and textures.
- Scratch, stain and dent resistant.
- Durability: It’s not unusual to see 20-25 year warranties on LVT.
- Great for residential replacement, home builders love using it, small businesses love using it too.
- LVT can come in lighter color designs, mid-tone designs, dark color designs, color and texture variation designs, XL format designs, textile and linen-look designs.
While LVT is easier to install than most other flooring types – it’s not your average DIY job. The installation does require a professional, as it takes more skill than your typical homeowner possesses. Before installation, all the subflooring needs to be properly prepped. All underfloors must be clean, without traces of dust, dirt, wax and other foreign substances. Underfloors should be smooth – this means securing and setting any fasteners flush with the subfloor and filling of any cracks or seams. Once the subfloor is prepped you can carefully plan your layout. In many cases, rooms must be accurately measured and the layout of the flooring should be adequately planned in advance. The importance of a correctly matching method and application is a conversation dealer must have with their customers.
Installation methods: Glue Down, Click, or Loose-lay. While many retailers prefer the glue-down method because it is a safe choice and a process with which they’re familiar with. Grip Strip or “Loose-lay” is another method for installing LVT. Floating(loose-lay) and grip-strip LVTs serve as a quick and easy glueless installation option; they’re often the only suitable solution for high moisture areas that would damage wood-based products or destabilize an adhered vinyl installation. Grip Strip is increasing in popularity as a faster method of installation, targeted to high traffic commercial environments. However, the product is less likely to have problems down the road if they proceed with the glue-down method. Retailers who opt for loose lay say, a tile can be replaced easily if damaged or flooding occurs. Many loose lay systems must be installed flush against the wall and do not require glue or tape.
Cleaning spills on LVT
LVT is practically impervious to wet spills and is a must-have for pet owners. LVT is non-porous, meaning it is a great choice for spaces such as your laundry room or bathroom. LVT is known for its ease of maintenance:
Damp mopping is the recommended cleaning procedure for LVT Water resistance.
Following these steps will work best when cleaning spills:
- Wipe immediately with a paper towel or cloth (Spots that have already dried might be removed using a plastic scraper).
- The area should then be washed with a recommended cleaning agent(diluted) using a damp cloth or sponge.
- More stubborn spots might be removed with a nylon sponge.
- Should the spot still remain, moisten a cloth with water and rub circular movements around the whole area.
The Possibilities are Endless with Luxury Vinyl Tile
LVT is available in hundreds of patterns and colors, and can also be designed to mimic other types of flooring, such as hardwood or tile, without the cost or maintenance associated with those more expensive options. You can create a variety of patterns and textures with LVT to create a unique look that matches your space perfectly.
Stop by our Des Plaines showroom to see all the LVT options in person and speak to our flooring experts. We will take the time to learn about your space and advise you on the right vinyl flooring for your project.
Contact Scharm Floor Covering today, or give us a call at (847) 298-8233!